Here is the first video that shows carving and printing the first color:
The biggest issue I had with te first color was that it was printing horizontal rollermarks on the paper. Since it was the first color and most of it was going to be hidden under the successive colors it was not a huge issue, but it needed to be fixed for the next colors. The fix was rolling forwards and then back a little bit before going all the way to the end. You see me doing it every time I print. It only took me about 40 prints to figure that out! I also had a lot of issues with the plate not printing evenly, but that was fixed in general with some strips of paper under the plate. I find that a lot of times when printing linoleum and resingrave plates attached to this kind of board the plates change during printing and need to be spot-filled with paper underneath as I go. Guess there is just a little bit of give in parts of the wood that is squeezed in during printing. Here is an image of all the first color prints drying pretty after a night of printing.
Here is the second video with the rest of the steps to complete the print. I hope it is fairly self explanatory. Please let me know if you have any questions.
The first two colors went over pretty well. I had a booboo in the middle of my run, where I had originally adjusted my plate and forgot to push it all the way to the right. So half of my prints were 1/8" to the left compared to the other half. This caused several misregistered prints before I figured it out... It should go without saying, make sure your plate is in place before you lock it up after you've been stuffing the underside.
Since reduction cuts are a tricky business and I did not want to ruin any nice prints by proofing successive colors on them, I had to figure out how to see what the next color looks like on the print without actually printing on it. Thanks to a large piece of mylar that I normally use to register my etchings with, I was able to solve that problem. I rolled up the plate with ink, and printed it the mylar and then was able to fit the mylar over one of the prints to see what it looked like. I was glad I did that, since the plate needed some more carving.
Below is the third color being proofed. The first state is on the left. You can see how much darker it is in areas, and after proofing, I went back and carved some more areas out. At that point I also resolved to make a 4 color reduction cut instead of 3. The Black was too harsh on the first two colors and the image needed another middle brown to soften it.
Rolling the last state up by hand for mylar proofing.
All done and ready to print. It was really exciting to shuffle the mylar on the image and see how the final print was going to look.
Here are the last two colors side by side. You can see how the extra layer of black really punched it out.