Thursday, August 7, 2008

New bird print

I am trying to get a lot of printing done before school starts next week and to have something new to submit to exhibitions. Just working on stuff helps me think and process ideas for future projects as well. I am trying to figure out what direction to go with my art, sinc I have been doing factoryfarming for so many years now. Like said in my previous post, my thoughts are dwelling on the forests so I just worked on a little birdy native to Finland.
My accomplishment for today is printing this new triple solarplate. I did a couple of color proofs before settling on the final color, the third print on the right is the finished print. For the last piece of paper I also printed color separations of the plates to show to my students as part of a solarplate demo.


I am working on another bird solarplate and woodcut right now and got a chance today to talk to a friend who does japanese woodcuts as well. He recommended flexcut carving tools from Japan Woodworker. They are supposed to handle very well, and be razor sharp. I ordered myself 4 to test them out. I was happy to see that they were much cheaper than tools that I bought earlier this year from McClains. When I get a chance to try them out, I'll be sure to let you know how they work.



No comments: