Saturday, December 13, 2008
I worked hard on these all week and finally finished, just in time to take a work-free Christmas vacation! They will be printed as posters for the Old Print-New Tricks exhibition for January. I was going to adhere them to foam core, and after the exhibition, put them up in the printmaking room. If you would like to have the posters for your class, email me and I can send you the pdf file.
Monday, December 8, 2008
I also took part in two portfolios in the last couple of weeks. I make linocuts at home for both of them, I figure they turned out pretty good. The mouse is for the AASU beginning printmaking class portfolio and the antsy is for Saltgrass Printmakers portfolio in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Three of my works were accepted to the juried Open Art tent, a new category initiated last year which showcases the work of talented emerging and student artists. (Works are going to be Missing Winter, USDA Choice and Refined Beef)
I am also doing another holiday sale bazaar on Ft Stewart in two weeks, so I need to get ready for that... hope to sell some prints too, busy, busy, busy
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Thursday, August 28, 2008
The two prints are not at all related, and I barely got the second one tolerable. The first print was a bull and rider titled Refined Beef and the second one was a round plate with a little hedgehog all curled up. I'll post a picture of the bull and rider for now. I am submitting it to the AASU faculty exhibition in September.
I have to mention a great exhibition up currently downtown Savannah. Curtis Bartone's etchings, drawings and paintings adorn the walls of the S.P.A.C.E. Gallery on the corner of Whitaker and West Henry st. Works will be up until Sept 24th. Curtis uses very detaild linework in his etchings, so they are fabulous when viewed in person, but pictures do little justice for them.
Curtis talks of his works: "I view the act of art-making as a way to explore and to question man's attempts to tame, control, and consume his surroundings." "My paintings and drawings, filtered through art history and mass media, attempt to make sense of seemingly disparate elements and create connections and order in what appears to be disharmony."
If you have a chance to check it out, it's well worth it!
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Thursday, August 7, 2008
My accomplishment for today is printing this new triple solarplate. I did a couple of color proofs before settling on the final color, the third print on the right is the finished print. For the last piece of paper I also printed color separations of the plates to show to my students as part of a solarplate demo.
I am working on another bird solarplate and woodcut right now and got a chance today to talk to a friend who does japanese woodcuts as well. He recommended flexcut carving tools from Japan Woodworker. They are supposed to handle very well, and be razor sharp. I ordered myself 4 to test them out. I was happy to see that they were much cheaper than tools that I bought earlier this year from McClains. When I get a chance to try them out, I'll be sure to let you know how they work.
Monday, August 4, 2008
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Monday, June 23, 2008
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Friday, June 20, 2008
The hardest part was figuring out the lights, since there are limited resources here in the "country". (I live about an hour out of Savannah, GA) If you are only going to do smaller plates and have the resources to buy one, get a facial tanning lightunit from ebay or from a supplier. Solarplates need UV light to expose, so the tanning units work great. Then all you do is just build a box around that. Note, regular fluorescent lightbulbs won't work.
I wanted to make a little bit of a bigger unit, to accomodate larger plates, so I built one out of MDF to house two- two lightbulb- ballasts. (total of 4 bulbs) The cost ended up being about $100 for everything.
4- 2' blacklights that you can get from your home improvement store or even at Walmart
2- 2 bulb ballasts (Lowes)
Some screws and wood glue
Above. Here is a picture of the finished box with dimensions. I did not wire the cords from the two units together so you have to plug them in separately for now. Addition: You can plug the cords into a surge protector, which makes using them easy, since it has a switch on it.
Below. A picture from the inside of the box
A picture of the sides, the little strips are to make carrying easier. If yo plan on using the unit a lot, you might want to drill a couple of holes on the sides to let some of the heat out.
With this unit, the lights are about 8" away from the plate, and we have tested exposure to be 1 min 30 sec. For aquatint screens we have been doing about 1 min 10 sec first with the screen, then the same amount of time with the image.
Hope this is helpful to you. If you have any questions, please ask.
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Monday, April 14, 2008
Friday, April 11, 2008
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Thursday, April 3, 2008
I am working on a new series that incorporates screenprints and lightboxes. Heres a couple of images of the work in progress. This is the first prototype for the box, and I think it works well. So I might keep it like this for the rest of the series too.